Everybody Pays is one of PyCon’s core principles. All attendees including speakers, chairperson, staff and volunteers have to pay for registering. While following this convention, PyCon Taiwan also has a financial aid program to help friends in the community, financially or otherwise, so more people are able join us in the big event.
All who look for help attending the conference are welcomed to apply. The organizers will review all applications, and allocate resources based on both the conference budget, and the applicants’ conditions.
While we hope to support everyone to participate in the community, the budget is unfortunately limited, and so is the financial aid program. In cases of insufficient resources, we wish to support those who are most in need, and to maximize community gain available from the applicant’s participation. As such, we may be forced to turn down your application to prioritize others.
The procedure of the application is what follows:
- The applicant (you) enters a valid email address for contact in the form.
- Leave a brief description about yourself, and provide at least leave your full name.
- The conference staff (we) will contact you to verify the information and try to learn more about you.
- The Financial Aid Program closes on 15 April (15:30 UTC).
- We will inform you of the results before the end of the conference registration. You will receive instructions about how to claim your aid. Please make sure to bring papers and/or proofs as appropriate to the conference for the claim process.
Some Tips on Application
- Describe your interest, what you did in the Python community, and what you plan to do to in the future.
- Describe why you would require additional help to attend (high cost relative to other attendees because you don’t have much spare money for travel, for example).
- Describe how you differ from the majority of the attendees. Maybe you don’t live in Taipei, or represent a particular group that is not well-represented?
- Describe how other attendees would benefit from your presence (you’ll share your experience, or can help raise awareness of an issue in the community, etc.).
We understand that we all have different financial situations, and contribution is difficult to quantify. As we have limited budget, we cannot guarantee to fund all applicants. But please do let us know if you need support, and we will do our best.